Tuesday 8 December 2015

Task 1d: 2d Images

In task d we were asked to create a Flickr account and post a set of images to said account.
I have never been big on posting photos to anything other than facebook, and normally if I want to store things I will use google photos, but the website itself was very nice and creating the profile was relatively simple.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/138244248@N06/

The use of audio and visual attachments has become ever present in our communication, particularly on social media. It can sometimes be a more creative and often more encompassing way of putting across your point. There are even websites devoted to posting images or videos such as Flickr, Imgur, Instagram, Vimeo, Youtube and Vine (to name but a few). This is a huge leap forwards in communication as it passes language and race barriers and can be used to put forward an opinion or idea in a more accepted way. Many charities have taken full advantage of this such as the "no make-up selfie" and the water bucket challenge, raising thousands of pounds for charity, though I'm not sure how much awareness as I couldn't tell which charities they were! Facebook is also now full of videos and photos displaying the current news and political opinions, many feminist videos, refugee appeals and anti terrorist explanations, information can be conveyed simply and interestingly through image and video. There are down sides to this form of communication however, once your image or video is out on the internet, who does it now belong to? Many teachers across the world have been highlighting this in their internet safety classes by posting photos and seeing how far they travel through shares and posts on Facebook, I have seen several spanning Australia, America and England. We also gain access to images and videos that we might not want to be privy to, such as the horrific images of the regugee child on the beach, this image was plastered on Facebook and I had scrolled down my feed to see this image before i got the chance to decide if I wanted to see it or not. Is there an easy way to sensor the images we see? I doubt it, especially as I fully believe in free speech.

I have enclosed a link to my Flickr account, photos all uploaded with my consent :)

No comments:

Post a Comment