Sunday 18 October 2015

Gooooogle and Android, the operating system of the people

So yesterday morning we had a meeting with the Google rep. It was at 8am on a Saturday! (but there was free breakfast so I was obviously going!)

The session was all about Google's 3 C's
1. Choice
2. Customisation
3. Content

All of this sounds very much like a marketing scheme. However it got me thinking about how true those 3 things are.

I have an android phone (a new Sony Xperia Z5 compact) and I love it, and having thought about it, Google's 3 C's are definitely a huge part of why I love my new phone.

I have always had an android phone, since smart phones became a thing, mostly, to begin with, because my dad doesn't like apple products. I can definitely thank him for that though! My first ever smart phone was a Samsung S2 (which I managed to drop in a bucket of water after 6 weeks and it still worked so kudos to Samsung). At the time I didn't appreciate the brilliance of android, I was too busy being excited about finally having a new phone, but in hindsight it was a great phone that I never really used to it's potential.

Now 4 years later I can fully appreciate the fantastic job Google have done with android. I am using Lollipop which is the version before Marshmallow their new update, which brings me to their 3 C's.

Firstly choice:
This is referring to the many different manufacturers that use android as their operating system, giving you hundreds of phones to choose from. If you want an apple phone there is only the iPhone, a couple of different versions maybe but only an iPhone. Whereas android gives you the choice of Samsung, Sony, HTC, Huawei, LG, Motorola, Alcatel and many more. The look of android can change slightly between manufacturers, as they adapt it to fit their style, but everything works the same in a slightly different place.

Secondly customisation:
This not only makes android phones easy to use but really personal. Yes you can change the background on any phone, but with android you can design the phone your way. From themes that change the colours and buttons, to various screens to provide you with an outlet for what's most important to you,  Google's got it covered.  I currently have a theme on my phone which makes my pages pink and turns my buttons into watermelons! Each to their own of course but you get the idea. Widgets are the second big feature for customisation, this brings apps on your phone to life on your home screen. You can have your music player up on there to play at a moments notice, you can put the calendar on there and always see your appointments or even put contacts on there so you can always be a click away from those you love.

Third and finally, content:
This is a less specific point for android as content is available on any phone but android definitely has the widest choice.  From Netflix to games to sky sports and so on, the play store is the largest app store and online book store and also has music, movies and TV, games and a newsstand! The content is endless, whatever you're into you can access it on android.

So it's pretty clear that I'm an android advocate but I really do love their system and even if the 3 C's sound like some friendly marketing, at least they are true!

The more I sell phones the more irony I see in the fact they are still called 'phones'. Actually phoning people isn't the top of the list for most of us now, our phones are now tvs, movie screens, mp3 players, cameras, computers and social devices, calling barely makes the list! There is no end to the amazing things they can do and Google is helping to make all that possible. Whether in time it proves to be a blessing or a curse, is damn clever and cool for now! 

:)

No comments:

Post a Comment